My River- The KAWA Model
The KAWA Model of Practice is a theory of occupational therapy practice that comes from an Eastern practice of thinking. It looks at circumstances and surroundings and how they relate to goals in a holistic manner. This model is one that requires a significant amount of participation by the client as they are responsible for identifying the different concepts and working through these to problem solve.
The word "Kawa" comes from the Japanese word for river. The idea is that the river represents life and the journey people take from the beginning to the end as well as obstacles that might get in the way. The water (Japanese: mizu) is the actual flow of life. Throughout life, we are surrounded by many environments and participate in many relationships that provide support. These aspects are what make up the walls and floor, or the torimaki, or the river. Along the way, the water might be obstructed by rocks (Japanese: iwa). The rocks in this model represent obstacles that block the flow and can create holdups in our lives. These tend to be related to disability or dysfunction. There is also a place for driftwood (Japanese: ryuboki) in this model. The driftwood represents the traits and characteristics of a person. These pieces of driftwood can either support or inhibit occupation. The last major piece of this theory is the spaces between where the water gets through (Japanese: sukima). This is the areas in which occupations make their way through and where therapy can take place.
In my own personal river shown below, I have an example of what my river looks like at this point in time. For my walls and floors, I have my support system: my family, fiancé, and friends who are present for me whenever I need them. I also have my environment. Currently, this environment is my apartment in Memphis and the UTHSC Campus with occasional visits home to Knoxville. For my rocks, I have some obstacles that can sometimes get in the way of my occupations: feelings of anxiousness and stress related to both school and being in a fairly new environment (and just life in general). For my driftwood, I included my ability to be easily distracted, my desire to help others, my faith and belief that I am here for a reason, my motivation to be active, and my drive that causes me to be hard working as there are all traits and characteristics that support or inhibit my participation in occupation. In the spaces I had left, I added some of the roles that I have because these relate to the occupations that I complete as a result: daughter, student, friend, fiancée, roommate, and future OT.
Everyone's river is going to look different and flow in its own way, but every river is going to be filled with obstacles and supports that allow the water to keep moving through.

Comments
Post a Comment